The Workers Compensation Board (WCB) advises all Island workplaces that the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Regulations related to First Aid will change as of January 31, 2013.
The amendments to Section 9 of the OHS Regulations will put additional measures in place to protect workers and employers, while reflecting the various hazard levels in the different types of workplaces on Prince Edward Island.
Highlights of the upcoming regulation changes include:
- The first aid requirements for low hazard workplaces, including training requirements for first aid providers, will be reflected in the Regulations.
- In workplaces that are not considered to be low hazard, a first aid room will be required where there are 100 or more workers per shift.
- First aid providers will be required in workplaces with less than 5 workers.
- Workplaces with as few as one worker will require a first aid kit.
- Due to the availability of onsite medical treatment, hospitals and nursing homes will be exempt from these Regulations.
All Island employers and workers are encouraged to visit the Workers Compensation Board website at www.wcb.pe.ca/Workplace/OHSActAndRegulations for more information about the First Aid amendments. “