ENHANCED ENVIRONMENTAL FARM PLAN
The Enhanced Environmental Farm Plan (EFP) process helps you identify and address environmental risks and opportunities in your operation. This plays a key part in safeguarding your local environment. And a healthy environment is essential to the success of Prince Edward Island farmers.
- Sustainable production of crops and livestock
- A healthy and diverse landscape for you, your family and community
- A productive environment for the next generation
Ensuring a healthy environment is also a crucial element in marketing our agricultural products. Consumers are becoming increasingly concerned about the safety and quality of the food they eat and about how that food is produced. Research on consumer preference shows that consumers place a high value on environmentally conscious food production.
Other important reasons for preparing an EEFP include:
- Effectively manage farm inputs like herbicides, insecticides and fertilizers
- Demonstrate to the public, government, lenders and/or investors that you are managing your environmental risks
- Increase your understanding of your legal requirements related to environmental issues
- Identify what you are already doing well and pinpoint where improvements can be made
Participation in the program ensures your eligibility for provincial programs such as the Growing Forward 2 Agriculture Stewardship Program, Farmland Finance Program and Future Farmer Programs. All plans are valid for 5 years and participation in the program is no cost to the producer.